- A world class Influenza Research Center generating high-impact publications and patents.
- Identification of animal viruses of potential risk to humans and understanding of their pathogenesis.
- Novel options for diagnosis, therapy, vaccines and control of influenza.
- Training for a new generation of PhDs, postdoctoral fellows and bio-technologists for Hong Kong and for scientists in the Asia-Pacific region.
- A bio-bank of well-characterized reagents, viruses and specimens for the world community to enhance pandemic preparedness.
- Partnerships with major industrial / pharmaceutical organizations to enhance Hong Kong’s knowledge-based economy.